LinkedIn is a professional social network where you can connect with co-workers and other professionals in your industry, find the people and knowledge you need to achieve your goals and control your professional identity online.
The K-State Alumni Association and K-State Alumni Career Services have created a LinkedIn group to help K-State alumni with career support, news and more. Members of the K-State Alumni Association group on LinkedIn receive job opportunity updates, career advice and more from Angela Hayes, alumni career services consultant.
Sign Up For LinkedIn
Step 1 - Register
1. Visit www.LinkedIn.com
2. Fill out your first name, last name, e-mail and click "Continue."
3. Continue your registration by entering a password and your zip code. Enter in your current employment status (employed, business owner, looking for work, working independently or student) and the required information for that selection. Click "Join LinkedIn."
4. Make your selections on how you want to use LinkedIn, including what you're looking for and what you want others to contact you about. Click "Save Settings."
This completes your initial registration for LinkedIn. Make sure you confirm your e-mail address by clicking the confirm link in the e-mail sent to you by LinkedIn.
Step 2 - Create Your Profile
After you login and confirm your e-mail address, you can begin building your profile. Click "Profile" on the lefthand navigation menu to view your profile and begin entering information. In addition to your current and past positions, you can enter in your graduation information from K-State so that other alumni can locate you.
Step 3 - Join the Official K-State Alumni Association LinkedIn Group
1. Visit the Kansas State Alumni group
2. After logging in, click "Join Group."
3. Select whether you would like to have the K-State Alumni Association group logo displayed on your profile and how frequently you would like to receive updates from the group. Updates include posted news items from the Association, as well as discussions and job postings. Click "Join this group" after you've made your selections.
Congratulations! You've now joined one of the largest professional social networks on the planet and many loyal and true K-State alumni on LinkedIn. You can begin building your professional network by searching for co-workers, fellow classmates or companies in the toolbar at the top of every LinkedIn page. The LinkedIn home page also allows you to import your contacts to automatically search for LinkedIn users you already have e-mail addresses for.