Alumni Center event coordinator
Eligibility for use
The Alumni Center is available for use by the following:
• K-State Alumni Association
• Alumni and Friends
• Kansas State University
• General Public
Hours of Operation
• The regular operating hours of the K-State Alumni Center are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and during scheduled events. The Alumni Center will be closed on all official University holidays. Exceptions to this policy may be approved for scheduled events.
• All guests understand they must vacate the rented space within thirty minutes of the closing of the event, unless the building manager gives approval.
• Dances taking place in the Alumni Center must conclude by midnight.
• No alcoholic beverages may be brought into the facility by a party other than the approved caterer.
• The individual or agency sponsoring the event assumes responsibility for compliance with all laws governing the dispensing and serving of alcoholic beverages.
• No alcoholic beverages may be sold without a license. A caterer having the required licenses to serve the alcoholic beverages is required for events. Sale of alcoholic beverages must be arranged for and purchased through a licensed caterer of alcoholic beverages.
• Only persons of legal drinking age may possess, be served, or be permitted to consume alcoholic beverages.
• Alcoholic beverages are not allowed outside the designated boundaries of the Alumni Center.
• The Association reserves the right to control the time and length of an event in which alcohol is served. The Association further reserves the right to deny service to individuals and to discontinue the service of alcoholic beverages prior to the scheduled ending time should the conduct and decorum of the guests or violations of these guidelines or state laws make it necessary to do so. If the Association thinks it is necessary to have security at the event, it will arrange such, at the expense of the sponsor.
• All alcohol must be served by the catering staff. Bottles of alcohol are not to be placed on guest tables, nor are guests to have the ability to serve themselves.
• Alcoholic beverages must be purchased prior to 30 minutes before the end of the event.
Food and Beverage
• Food or beverages will not be allowed in the Memorabilia Room or in the Hagans library.
• All food and beverages consumed in the Center must be approved and served by a caterer from our approved list.
• Caterers are charged 16 percent of their business to cater in the Alumni Center. This percentage is not just a cost to do business, but is for their use of the kitchen, kitchen equipment and tableware (china, glassware, flatware). All of this is provided to ensure a high quality product to our customers. Caterers may choose to simply add 16 percent to your bill to cover this cost. We encourage you to inquire about this charge as you choose the caterer for your event.
• Cancellations of reservations more than 90 days prior to the event, 100% refund, less a $25.00 handling fee. Cancellations made less than 90 days prior to the event will be charged 50% of room rental fee. Cancellations made less than 30 days prior to an event will be charged 100% of room rental fee.
Fees that May Apply
• Renter may be required to pay a building opening fee of $75 when utilizing the Alumni Center during non-business hours. The fee will be added to the total charges for each event.
• Rates are based on an 8-hour time block for rooms excluding the Banquet Room and the Tadtman Board Room. If renting for more than 8 hours within a calendar day, there is an additional charge of $25 per hour. Special allowances are made for events taking place between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
• Rates for the Banquet Room and Tadtman Board Room are based on a 6-hour time block. If renting for more than 6 hours within a calendar day, there is an additional charge of $50 per hour. Special allowances are made for events taking place between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
• For a non-university group to confirm a reservation for any room in the Center, a deposit in the amount of half the room rental fee and a signed rental agreement are required.
• For university groups to confirm a reservation for any room, except a small conference room, a signed rental agreement is required.
Audio and Visual
• The Alumni Center has some of the latest audio-visual equipment available for use by groups renting the facility.
• Audio-visual arrangements should be made in advance, preferably at the time the reservation is made.
• Live music as well as sound amplification systems must be approved by the building manager.
• The DJ and any other entertainment have to bring their own speakers and are not allowed to plug into our sound system.
• The customers can use any DJ of their choice.
• All decorations and rental items must be approved by the building manager. They must be free-standing, including signs. Nothing is to be attached to the walls or ceiling. No posters or banners will be permitted on the Alumni Center exterior or grounds without the approval of the building manager.
• Glitter, sprinkles or confetti will not be allowed in the Alumni Center.
• No open flame candles will be permitted. Candles in a Hurricane Lamp will be allowed as well as oil lamps.
• No helium balloons will be allowed in the Banquet Rooms or Tadtman Board Room.
First Floor Rental Policy
• Half the price is due at reservation, the other half by the day of the event
• Can seat up to 400, 350 comfortably
• Must use a caterer from our approved caterer list
• Our approved caterers are charged a 16 percent catering commission on the total food and beverage cost. This percentage covers the use of china, glassware, silverware, breakage, etc.
• Have access to the space from 8 a.m. to midnight
• Free wireless internet access is available for all Alumni Center guests.
Johnson Terrace Policy
• Use of the Johnson Terrace is restricted to groups who have reserved the space through the Association.
• All guidelines pertaining to use of the interior rooms of the Alumni Center are also in effect for the Johnson Terrace.
• Alcoholic beverages are not allowed beyond the designated boundary of the Center.
Parking and Handicapped Access
• Parking at the Alumni Center is restricted for Alumni Center use only. Additional parking spaces are available at the Student Union Parking Garage, which is directly across the street from the Alumni Center. The Alumni Center complies with current Americans with Disabilities Act standards and is completely accessible and functional to the physically impaired.
• Recurring events will be considered, but approval is subject to limitations of time and available space. Regularly scheduled university semester classes cannot be held in the Alumni Center. Exceptions may include intersession or short-term courses.
General Policies for Alumni Center Operations
• The removal of any fixtures, furniture or furnishings from the Alumni Center is prohibited.
• The Alumni Center is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen articles.
• The fireplace, if used, must be set and attended by the building manager.
• Animals are not allowed inside the Center, except for those licensed to assist persons with disabilities.
• Renters will assume all costs for damage to the Alumni Center.
• The K-State Alumni Center restroom facilities are not open to athletes utilizing Memorial Stadium. No guests from Memorial Stadium activities wearing athletic cleats will be allowed in the facility.
• A NO TOBACCO policy is in effect inside the Center and on the outside terrace areas.
• The NO SMOKING policy is as follows: the smoking of cigarettes, cigars, pipes or burning tobacco in any other form or device, as well as the use of electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, hookah or other water pipe devices and all other related devices, is prohibited in university owned vehicles and on university property, except inside personal vehicles. University property includes, on the Manhattan and Polytechnic campuses: inside buildings and structures, outdoors, and within state-owned vehicles.
• As a nonpublic facility, and with the approval of the K-State Alumni Association Board of Directors, the Alumni Center has been designated as a building that will not allow any type of guns, whether open carry or concealed carry, inside the Alumni Center building unless by police staff or security staff acting within the scope of their employment. With the exception of police or security staff as noted above, anyone, including Alumni Association staff, who is lawfully eligible to carry a concealed handgun in Kansas, must properly remove the concealed handgun before entering the Alumni Center building.